Tired, itchy, scratchy eyes? It’s most likely a dry eye problem.
And although known very little to the general public, we are all at risk of being affected by this condition.
Our tears are protected by a lipid layer that lubricates the eye and prevents the tears from evaporating.
When this fatty layer is damaged, tears evaporate. This is the main cause of dry eyes (80% of cases).
What are the solutions?
- Repair the altered fatty layer of the tear film to stop the evaporation of tears,
- Add artificial tears without preservative,
- Take regular breaks when looking at a screen,
- Increase the humidity of the air by reducing the air conditioning or heating,
- Practive good eyelid and eyelash hygiene.
If symptoms persist, consult an ophthalmologist.